Don’t Panic! 5 Steps to Saving Your Computer from a Liquid Spill
Accidents happen, and if you’ve ever spilled liquid on your computer, you know how stressful it can be. Whether it’s a spilled cup of coffee or a glass of water, liquid spills can be a serious threat to your computer’s health. If you’re facing a liquid spill, here are 5 things you can do to try and save your computer:
- Turn off your computer and unplug it. The first thing you should do after a liquid spill is turn off your computer and unplug it from the wall. This will help prevent any further damage from occurring.
- Disconnect all peripherals. Next, you should disconnect any external peripherals, such as a mouse, keyboard, or printer, from your computer. This will make it easier to access the affected area and dry it off.
- Dry off the affected area. Using a dry, absorbent cloth or paper towel, blot the affected area to remove as much liquid as possible. Be sure to dry off any components that may have come into contact with the liquid, such as the keyboard, touchpad, and ports.
- Clean the affected area. Once you’ve removed as much liquid as possible, you can use a mild cleaner, such as rubbing alcohol, to clean the affected area. Be sure to use a soft, lint-free cloth, and avoid using too much liquid, as this can cause further damage.
- Let your computer dry. Once you’ve cleaned and dried off the affected area, you’ll need to let your computer dry completely before attempting to turn it back on. This can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days, depending on the extent of the damage.
If you’ve followed these steps and your computer still isn’t working, it may be time to seek professional help. If you’re in the Collin County area, consider contacting PC Geeks. As the premier computer repair company in the area, we have the expertise and experience to help you get your computer up and running again. Whether you need a simple repair or a more complex solution, we’re here to help. Contact us today to learn more about how we can assist you.