Social networking has changed the way we interact with family and friends. While social networks, like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Yelp & Google+, play a significant role in our lives, they are also a high risk for security threats.Here are some suggestions to help keep your personal information private:
- Never give more information than is necessary to operate an account. Usually this includes:
- An email: (Never use a work email address)
- Birthday (Consider using a fake birth date like January 1st 1904)
- Make sure that your posts are not indexed into search engines. Each social media site handles this in a different way. For example, you can use your Facebook settings to block search engine indexing, or on Twitter you can make your posts visible to people who follow you only
- Remember to set all your posts private on Instagram
- Make sure that mobile apps are not using personal data or sharing additional private information. You should also use caution when linking together different apps like Facebook and Twitter or news apps like Flipboard and Facebook
- Social media are always refining and changing their privacy settings. Make sure to stay up-to-date with any privacy changes and continue to monitor what information you are sharing.
Using these four tips can help insure your privacy online and make social media a safer place.